MS Entourage is a personal information manager for Mac users that provides all the functionality of an email client, including emailing, calendaring, task management, and project management. All the user information is stored in a database that drives the application. The database file has a size limit that varies with the Entourage version (ie 4 GB for Entourage X and 2 GB for Entourage 2001). If the database size exceeds the size limit, the chances of your Entourage database becoming corrupt increase dramatically. The signs of corruption show up at an early stage. You may notice symptoms like incorrect sorting, messages not displaying properly, etc. Additionally, you may encounter the following error message on your screen:
'Entourage can not access you data. To Attempt to fix the problem, rebuild your database '
In case you face issues while viewing, opening, or deleting items in MS Entourage, you should rebuild your database using the Entourage Database utility. To do so, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Initially, you need to close all applications that are currently running in the system.
- Determine the size of your Entourage identity and the amount of free space available on the disk. You should proceed with the next steps, if the free space on your disk is three times the current size of your Entourage identity. You can use 'Get Info' option on the 'File' menu or press 'Command + I'.
- Before starting to rebuild your database, you should create a backup of your Entourage identity. Microsoft Office Data Identifiers' or 'Office 2004 Identities' Right-click 'Main Identity' and select 'Duplicate'.
- Follow the instructions to rebuild the database:
- Close all applications.
- Start MS Entourage and keep pressing the 'Options' key on the keyboard until you notice a Database Utility window on your screen. You can also navigate to the Database Utility by opening the 'Microsoft Office 2008/2004' folder and double-clicking 'Microsoft Database Utility.app'.
- Choose the Entourage identity in the Database Utility window. Click 'Rebuild database' and then 'Continue'.
- The Rebuilding Main Identity window is displayed. This window shows the rebuild status.
- Click 'Done' and then 'Quit'. Open MS Entourage and check if the issue has been fixed. If yes, go to the next step.
If this does not solve your problem, you should take help of professional Entourage recovery software. These utilities run an advance scan against the corrupt database to recover all your inaccessible Entourage objects intact, ie mails, contacts, calendars, etc.